Another triple batch, long day. I was up at 7am. Fired up the mash water at 7:30. I started on the easiest recipe, the Oatmeal Stout. Just a single mash infusion with this one. This is the 2nd stout I made ever. The stout was a dry stout. Now I did a significant deviation to a recipe but that 1st dry stout was good…just a sipper.
The oatmeal gave me some misgivings after the last batch a month ago of the budclone with 30% rice with impacted real good. I wasn’t sure if the oatmeal would gum up the 1mm trub filter or even gum up the RIMS. It worked fine though, the RIMS stopped once and I got it started easily. Though the mash was an odd ‘gelatinous’ mass the entire mash. The oatmeal went through the trub filter fine. IT SMELLED GOOOOOD! The mash even tasted awesome – chocolaty.
The second batch was the Xmas ale. Last year I had our worst RIMS and sparge ever with a horrible stuck grain bed. Though this recipe was 40lbs of grain, I am doing smaller 11-12 gallon batches so this one was no problem. I used fresh ginger shavings in this.
I added some spices and 2lbs of clover honey to finish this off. Though this was supposed to be a lager, it was an ale instead due to my mental state at the time of pitching yeast.
The 3rd and final batch was the Pumpkin Lager. This was the first pumpkin beer I have made. I decided on 6 lbs of canned pumpkin directly added to the boil. From some tests, I was confident (almost) that it would remain thin enough during pumpout to go through the Therminator directly bypassing the 1mm trub filter. I knew it would totally bog the trub filter. I had no problems during pumpout and dropped it to a perfect 68 deg F in less than 10 minutes….with 67 deg water no less.
The pumpkin lager actually got Wyeast’s Bavarian Lager yeast and is fermenting at 61 def F. It was supposed to be cooler but a warm front moved in.
I got done at 5:30 pm with the last batch – 9 hours later.