I am back down to two batches. Three is too long of a day. I did the pale ale substituting Wyeast 1056 (American Ale) with Wyeast 1028 (London Ale). I also did the Amber making two substitutions: Briess Pale Ale malt instead of 6-row and Wyeast 1084 (Scottish Ale) instead of Wyeast 1056.
It was interesting that the Amber came out a few points above gravity, 1.058 with a target of 1.055. The pale ale was even more surprising, 1.066 instead of 1.055. That is 10 gravity points. Either the efficiency went up a lot or I had more grain than I thought. I picked the former as both batches used the exact same pounds for the target gravity and water/grain levels were identical in the grain bed. I did lauter for a longer time, 50 and 60 minutes respectively instead of the usual 30-ish on triple brew days – that could have been it.
Other highlights of the day: I got to talking about 55 gallon stainless steel barrels and possible commercial uses when there was a boil-over. One of the more minor ones, but still. That’s why one should never purchase a ‘polished’ stainless steel stand….or even a stainless steel stand at all. It’s going to go through much, much abuse. You will spend more time keeping it clean than brewing. I am starting to build nice flakey crusts of ash from boiled-over burned wort of brew days gone past.
I also had the first ‘Stock’ lager on tap. Essentially a Sam Adams clone. I made it in December. It’s fantastic though I would like to experiment a little more on it for a signature hop. It finished 1.020, I would like to see if that can go down a little more too. Though still a ‘can drink this all day’ beer.