I decided to keg this today. I made this on 12/09/12 with Wyeast 2278 – Czech Pils. It’s a simple two grain recipe. I opened up the fermentor and took a big whiff…I got nearly knocked out. A lot of CO2 compared to others. I started the transfer between the fermentor and the kegs.
As the beer dropped into the kegs, I noticed a large head of foam – it was even in the hose. Apparently after I capped the fermentor, it self carbonated…not all the way, but just enough.
I took a sample of two glasses, hoping that I would get a ‘real’ pilsner (real ale analogue).
It was indeed good – even though light on the carbonation. I drank one, poured the other back into the keg and filtered them. Then it was figuring out how much raspberry flavoring I should put in. I only decided to flavor half of the batch (5 gallons). I initially put in some, stirred and sampled. Then a bit more. It tasted good.
I then experimented with some lactose to add some sweetness (which will not ferment out). I dissolved 0.1 oz in 4oz of beer. It actually took awhile to all dissolve ~ 15minutes. It did improve the sweetness. This would mean I would use nearly a pound of lactose for 5 gallons.
If anything, I can try to brew at higher mash temps for more unferementable sugars if we want a little more sweetness. Maybe use a yeast that has lower RDF’s.
I think I have two excellent beers here. I cleaned up and put 14lbs of CO2 on them. They will stay that way for a week and then I’ll see how they taste.