I made 2 beers, both our 2nd runs: Stock Lager and our Pilsner. This time I changed from Mt. Hood to Liberty hops still going with the ‘American-made’ themed beer. The Pilsner recipe also changed by moving some bittering hops over to the flavor and aroma side -maintaining the same bitterness units overall.
I made the mistake in pitching yeast. I put the American Lager yeast in the Pilsner and the Czech Pils yeast in the Stock lager. Oh well…they are both lager yeasts right? 😉
I increased the batch size from 10 gallons to 15 gallons again only due to the fact that I have only a few weeks left for ‘lager season’ here.
I also did 2 hour sparges instead of the usual 30-45 minute sparges based on some initial results last time. I added 10-12 gravity points ABOVE where I wanted to be for both batches. Sparge time is very important I have found out. My brewing calculations have a 65% efficiency built in – which I knew was bad, I have now corrected it.
The sparge on the pilsner was amazingly clear. There were NO particles…I couldn’t easily gauge the speed of the sparge. I actually had to look hard to see the heat gradient changes moving to see how fast it was going.
I am also weighing the spent grains so I can start tracking water retention and try to correlate it with sparge effectiveness.