We made some great progress this week:
My brewer’s bond has been approved! (This bond is so the Feds are guaranteed that the taxes on the beer will be paid) I’m just waiting for it in the mail and I can continue to work on the Federal application and possibly submit this week. Though I felt like an idiot when I logged back onto the Fed website and discovered a little dropdown labeled ‘Cash Bond’. I surely would have done that and just wrote them a check directly and saved a month! This does put it firmly into December for opening following the current Federal processing timeline – though it did save some money. It’s ok. It’s going to allow more time to get things done right and not rush this process.
Flights of Beer Research
My wife has done lots and lots of research on flights and how people serve them and what people seem to like as far as quantity and size. A lot of this research also came from your great feedback here on Facebook. We have narrowed it down to a few options and will start making some ‘flight prototypes’.
This was our major project this week. After consulting with my dad and with my wife’s input (she knows I’m messier and drop things more than I think I do based on the homebrew pilot system), we figured the best thing to do was to remove the existing floor down to the concrete and leave it like that…no retiling or anything. I shouldn’t put ‘yet another layer’ over top. I lined up Assistant Brewer Jesse and Marketing and Taproom Hostess Rebecca to come down to help. I got my Dad and John over too. After doing some research on vinyl tile/thinset/carpet removal (thanks Rebecca and Denny!), I called Jordan Power Equipment in Tallmadge to rent some tools to get the job done. This was not a job for just a hammer and a chisel, I needed scrapers and grinders. I rented equipment for only 24 hours as it wasn’t cheap. We had work to do!
I can’t say enough about Jordan Power Equipment and the guys and gals working it. Top notch all-the-way and very helpful. They are even ‘on call’ 24 hours a day if you have problems.
We started work later in the evening to not disturb any adjacent tenants as these machines aren’t exactly quiet. We started with the vinyl tile remover to get us down to concrete.
After we got down to the original concrete floor, we got out this other cool machine to remove any remaining adhesive and thinset and to smooth the concrete floor:
MASSIVE THANKS to my Dad, John, Jesse, Rebecca and my wife for the work on this night. It was 5 hours of grueling work but we got it done. It couldn’t have been done without all of them. I finished up the concrete polishing the next day. Jesse actually got up to go swimming early the next morning. Beast. I skipped my swimming workout. Loser.
Recovery and my wife, mostly, will work on removal of some of the marble tiles that will be behind the bar. We want to reuse them in another area. Slow, tedious work than anything. We need this finished this week so I can rent the concrete polisher one more time to finish the area, apply a sealer and be ready for fermentors in 30 days. 30 DAYS!